Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Life Giving Rain

I just finished watering my flowers and I growled because I had to drag the hose to the back yard. It is very dry now and that brought back memories of the 30's when we first moved to the farm in the northern part of the county. Most of the farm had sandy and black dirt. Both need rain often as it dries quickly. As I turned my sprinkler on I could not help remembering what it was like in those years. If we watered and it was not often as we had to pump the water and carry it to what we were watering. The garden was too large to carry water so we watched as the crops slowly perished in the hot dry weather. We always were concerned that the well might give out and then we would have drill a new well and there sure wasn't money for that so we were very saving with our water supply. We had a tank for water for the animals that was made of cement which helped to keep the water a little cooler.It had a wooden trough that came from the pump to the tank and any water that didn't go into a bucket would go into the tank. No water was wasted. My mother always said "Waste not want not"We have lost that quality today. We have become a throwaway nation. Just look at the landfills.Life was hard in the 20's and 30's but what we experienced made us strong, hardworking, honest and we cared for our neighbors. "Those were the Days"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home