Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Great Depression

I have written in some of my blogs about the years of the depression and how it affected all our lives. As I look back on those times I can see some good things that came out of those bad times. There were bad times as people lost their homes, lost their jobs and had to struggle just to feed their families. It also produced a generation of people who learned to live on their own inititive. We planted gardens, raised our own meats, picked wild raspberries and blackberries to make jams and jellies in the spring. College was not an option for many families. We rolled up our sleeves, got a job and worked hard and long hours at a very small wage. My first steady job was at Woolsworth 5c and 10c. store. I recieved a big salary of 20c an hour. Education came from living in tough times. It gave us determination, respect for our neighbors and love and compassion for our neighbors. Our lives were simple. We paid for what we had and only bought what was necessary. Each dine was important and not to be wasted. We shared with our families, and neighbors and those who were worse off than we were. My parents never had a vacation until we kids were in High School. My Dad went to school through the sixth grade but he was determined that we kids went through High School. Work ethics were established. We accepted responsibility and had respectfor our bosses and those in authority. That depression taught us to be strong in our faith, committment and our love for our country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home